The BBC Top 100 Books- Memoirs of a Geisha

14:08



It came as somewhat of a surprise to me, as I was reading this book, to suddenly notice that it was written by a man.  If anyone had asked me, I'd have been absolutely adamant that the voice of Nitta Sayuri (the first person narrator) was the work of a woman, simply because her character was so stunningly tangible.  The ability to write from the perspective of someone of the opposite sex with such insight and immediacy, is a rarity that should be commended as a triumph in itself.



Memoirs of a Geisha tells the compelling story of Sayuri's transformation from girl to geisha, a journey that begins in a poor Japanese fishing village in 1929.  Writing in retrospect, Sayuri recounts her experiences with intense clarity and emotion, as well as with the certain kind of wisdom only gained with age.  

Nine year-old Chiyo (for that was her name at the time) is plunged into an unfamiliar world in which she must learn a whole new way of life.  The narrative is so enthralling, that the reader feels as though they are floundering alongside the girl with the remarkable blue-grey eyes, desperately trying to succeed, while also clinging on to a childhood fantasy.  

While much of the story tells of parties, enchanting social events and beautiful clothes, the less spoken about part of a geisha's life is explored in equal depth and honesty.  Throughout the novel, the reader is painfully aware of the exploitation taking place, as well as the fact that the central character seems to have no choice nor control.    

By the end of the novel, the reader feels as though they've been through so much with this woman, that they wish they could meet her, ask her questions and, more importantly, tell her that she's the most incredible person they've ever met.  

Before reading Arthur Golden's novel, I only had a vague idea of what a geisha actually was. I was mostly wrong.  While much of what I discovered about the life of a geisha shocked me, I also found myself developing a great amount of respect for these women.  

Overall, I think I'd have to say that this was the most beautiful book I've ever read.  If that's not a recommendation, then I'm not sure what is. 

Harriet x


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images