31 Day Blog Challenge- Day 25

16:26

Day 25: Describe your location

"I sit, staring blankly at the laptop screen in front of me, slowly giving in to the hypnotic flashing of the cursor in the centre of the page; on, off, on, off.  The cup of tea I just inhaled seems to have raised my body temperature by a couple of degrees, which, combined with the temptingly comfy bed right behind me, sends me into a deep state of lethargy.  

Outside the window, I can hear over-the-road's builders drilling and shouting rowdily to each other, which thankfully prevents me from falling asleep at my desk.  If the sky were a little less grey and a little more blue, I think, I would be outside enjoying the sun.  

On the desk in front of me stands one of those wooden mannequins used for sketching.  Its arms are thrown up in the air, the left elbow bent at a peculiar angle.  Its thighs point downwards, but at the knees the lower legs stick out wildly to the sides, creating a severely bow-legged effect.  As I look, I remember that it's still in this position from several weeks ago, when my Mum used it as a visual representation of her emotions.  She was excited about going to see the Swingle Singers and this was apparently the best way to show it.

I turn my head and look out of the window again.  Immediately, I notice a white butterfly contrasting with the brown roof-tiles of the house opposite, flitting carelessly wherever it pleases.  As soon as it flutters out of sight, the outside world suddenly looks cold and grey again.

I think about taking that nap after all, but as I turn to glance longingly at the bed, I see that my cat's beaten me to it." 

Harriet x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images