31 Day Blog Challenge- Day 7

14:41

Day 7: What's your dream job?


When I got back from my run this morning, (please take a moment to gaze in awe at my beautiful trainers on the left)  I was all energised and pumped up with endorphins.  It probably would have been a good idea at this point to get my head down and write this post.  Instead I was distracted by the thought of a cold shower and also a chicken wrap.  So now that I've actually come to sit down in front of my laptop, I'm feeling a little sleepy (yes, I know it's 2.30 in the afternoon).  

So I'll try my best to make this an interesting one, but I can't promise anything!

Right, what's my dream job?  During the last six months or so, I think I've come to the conclusion that I want to be a journalist.  And failing that, someone who writes things and gets paid for it.  

Ideally (and fairly predictably) I'd love to work for one of the big names, like the BBC, the Telegraph, the Guardian etc.  But obviously people who end up there have laboriously worked their up through the ranks, starting with university or local newspapers; something which I'm more than prepared to do.

Alternatively, I could be a freelance journalist.  Or maybe I could have a column in a newspaper.  Basically, I just want to write.  

But before I start thinking about career-type jobs, I'm going to do an English Literature degree, so that I can improve my writing and skills.  Also, if I did a Journalism degree and then changed my mind, I might find it harder to change path.  Another reason I want to do English is because I love reading and I really enjoyed English A-Level!

At the moment (and hopefully for the next year while I'm working at home) I'm getting a bit of work experience by writing articles for Kettle Mag, Eat More Cake and MyStudentStyle (see 'What else do I write?').  Doing this has made me even more determined to be a professional journalist one day! 

If you have any advice or tips about breaking into the field, then I'd be so happy to hear from you!

Harriet x



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images